Spillers Conditioning Fibre Review

Wednesday 14 March 2018


This is a review that is well over due but due to the events that I explained in my last update post here, I've not been in the mental state to be writing reviews. 

Not long into this year I was approached my Spillers to trail out the Conditioning Fibre and write up a review on it after them seeing my previous post on the Speedy Mash Fibre.  
During the time they contacted me Legacy's had lost any shape she had in her bum due to the first set of temperature drops this year, so because of that I thought it would be a great time to try this out. 

I'm a firm believer of the horses diet being closet to it would within the wild meaning mainly fibre. I try to keep concentrates to a minimum with Legacy & Cloudy's food. The Conditioning Fibre is great for this as it's a complete feed meaning when fed at it's recommended amount this is all you need to give your horse. The Fibre is filled with natural fibres to bulk out the food to keep them eating and to prevent them from rushing their food. It has good protein sources and rapeseed oil added to help build up the condition without excitability, this is a great selling point for this product as their are so many people that want to add condition without compromising their horse's behaviour which may happen when feeding traditional cereal based conditioning feeds. The energy from this comes from the fibres and oils which make them slow releasing, compared to the cereal based feeds which uses the cereals for quicker releasing energy.  
 Amongst the rest of the natural ingredients their is also grass nuts added in for a bit of something different.  

The stats on the feed are:
Digestible Energy - 11MJ/kg
Oil - 10%
Protein - 12%
Fibre - 21% - High in fibre
Starch - 7% - Low in starch

Legacy's recommended amount is 3-4kg a day, this was spread out between 2 meals, morning and night. In each meal she had 2-3 Stubbs scoops per meal. Each Stubbs scoop holds 0.6kg of the fibre, meaning she had between 1.2kg and 1.8kg a meal. This is keeping it under the 2kg per meal feeding recommendation. For Legacy's meals she would have the fibre and a small scoop of sugar beet to add some moisture into the meal for her. This feed can be fed dry or damp but Legacy prefers her food dampened hence why I add the sugar beet with her feed. 





Here are some before and after pictures of using the feed for aprox a month and a half. For a 500kg horse a bag would aprox last about 2 weeks. I used 3 bags of the feed with her. Although in the after pictures of her side on she looks like she's lost a bit of weight compared to putting on but the way she puts weight on is that originally it will go onto her belly then over time it will disperse over to her bum to where she needs it. 

Overall I really enjoyed using this food with Legacy, it was simple and there was no worry about her not getting enough of everything she needs. It cut the feed making time in half and she would just have scoops of this and beet, then mix. She definitely enjoyed this as she's never been the quickest of eaters but when having this meal she ate all her food quicker than Cloudy. Out of the 3 bags used on Legacy I was given 2 for free and I purchased the 3rd one as I realised I wasn't giving her the correct amount per day so I bought another one and fed the last of the first bag through to the 3rd at the correct amount. As she got up to the weight I wanted her to be at she's no longer on this feed but if I ever felt that she needed to put weight on again I would definitely consider this for her with how well it worked. 
If you've got a horse that needs to put on weight or just some added shine and condition I really recommend this as there's nothing in there which could excite your horse and the starch is low which is also an added bonus.


*Although the bags of feed were provided for free all the opinions within this review are my own and Spillers had no influence over my views.











No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS
Skimlinks Test