Battle of Wills!

Sunday 12 November 2017



The weather was nice and I had the day to myself, my mum had fed and given the horses hay earlier in the morning so I decided to head down to the yard to have a ride. My mum had asked if I could also lunge Cloudy while I was there as she was going away. Knowing what Legacy is like I got Cloudy in first, got him booted up and took him down to the arena for a lunge. After finishing with him I left him in his stable to munch on his haynet and rest his feet from the wet of the field.

I then went to get Legacy from the field she was really docile this day so I thought it was going to be a somewhat easy time today atleast until I got on her to ride, but oh was I wrong. She planted her feet straight away, she wasn't going anywhere. If she was eating the her put out for them a few hours ago I could somewhat understand her thinking but she was just standing by the gate waiting for Cloudy. I then got her walking to the gate, then she would go through the gate. Got her through that then she wanted on the other side, wanting to stay with another horse. Got her through there and through another gate and she then planted in the field with the sheep. After that I finally managed to get her through and out of there no problem. She was so lazy that day I could hear her rub scrape against a wall we have to go around, I winced as I heard that. Thankfully everything was okay. 

Into her stable she went no problem (this is typically where she plants and is normally fine in the field). She was then good as gold in the stable. I booted her up with the 3 pairs of boots she has with no problem. She tacked up fine. Not one box walk ask I tried to put her saddle on. I thought she'd given up, but oh boy was I wrong again. She didn't want to leave the stable, got her out of that and she was at it again planting her feet. I tried circling her around and she stopped further away from where I wanted to go. So I walked her next to the stable to grab the lead rope. Now Cloudy is fine when he's on his own in the stable but he can't be a little wound up when Legacy can be parading and playing up right in his view. I then got her passed there and she stopped by another horse that was in their stable. Tried to push her on and she starts to back up. I give her a tap on her side with the lead rope and she's walking again. Thankfully this time we manage to make it to the arena without any stops. There were times I felt she was thinking about it but thankfully she didn't.

After that I hopped on her, she turned around and she did it again. After a couple of kicks she went from one side of the arena to the other and stopped. At this point I was so fed up and got off, but I oddly had a feeling she was going to be somewhat like this so I left the lunging equipment in the arena after Cloudy. 

She then worked on the great, there was a little lazyness but I don't mind that. In fact I'd rather that than her playing up of stopping and turning in and the odd rear to turn in or a bolt off in canter when I thank God that she's got boots on her hind legs.

So all in all I got what I wanted to do with Cloudy without a problem, but Legacy made it her mission to make sure she wasn't worked. Although I didn't get the nice relaxing schooling ride I wanted, I knew I wasn't ever going to get that with her at this point. I felt like I still won over her by making her work on the lunge. Okay she got away with not being ridden but she got worked harder on her lunge than she would've ridden with the way she is with me solo anyway.

I know I'm bound to get another day like this with her, I'm just hoping it's not any time soon again.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS
Skimlinks Test