Be Seen, Be Safe!

Tuesday 14 April 2015

Reading a post a Lady put up on Facebook the other day about her horse being hit by a car while out hacking really made me start thinking and then I came up with this post. Wearing Hi-Viz when out hacking is something which is up to the rider. Up until mid February I only used to wear a vest out on the road and this was only when I felt like it, there were often times when I would think 'Oh I'm only going down the road, 20mins and I'll be back.'

But it hit me one day that I could just be leaving the yard and something could hit me, the fact that Legacy hates hacking out on her own and will nap and have a little dance in the road when she can get away with it made me feel like I needed it even more. Even with the dark evenings, the fact that she's dark bay doesn't help that she's less likely to be seen out on the road.

So I set off searching throughout the internet for Hi-Viz gear, I bought myself a hi-viz coat for the colder months, if I'm already wearing this I will be less likely to forget about putting on a vest, I got Legacy a netted exercise sheet, which will be great and airy for the summer months too and a bridle kit. This included nose band strip, brow band strip and strips for either side on the reins. There was also one point where I thought about getting her hi-viz boots, but she can be a bit funny with boots at the moment so it's something we're working on.

Now I will always wear hi-viz on the road, thankfully nothing has happened to myself or Legacy but it can be the difference between a driver not seeing you and a driver seeing you even by only a few seconds it can still make a difference. If you still end up being hit, it can be the difference between the impact you have from the car. It's just something to think about when you're hacking out without anything next time.

What are your views on hacking with and without hi-viz?





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS
Skimlinks Test